On Saturday night, we went to the Town Hall. It was the last day of the year and a large crowd of people had gathered under the Town Hall clock. It would strike twelve in twenty minutes’ time. Fifteen minutes passed and then, at five to twelve, the clock stopped. The big minute hand did not move. We waited and waited, but nothing happened. Suddenly someone shouted,”It’s two minutes past twelve! The clock has stopped!” I looked at my watch. It was true. The big clock refused to welcome the New Year. At that moment, everybody began to laugh and sing. (sumber: detik-detik UN bahasa Inggris; 2005/2006; Intan Pariwara) Vocabularies: Saturday night: sabtu malam, went: pergi, town hall: tengah kota, last: terajhir, large crowd: keramain yang besar, gather: berkumpul, under: di bawah, stop: berhenti, strike: tepat, big: besar.
1. When did the clock stopped?
A. At 5.12
b. At 11.55
C. At 12.00
d. At 12.02
2. Why did the people gather under the Town Hall clock?
A. To welcome the New Year
b. To see the newly bought clock
C.To strike the laughing people
d. To stop people who shouted
3. Based on the text, where was the writer?
A. At the center of the town
B. At home
C. AT the beach
D. At the market
4. When did the event happen?
A. in the middle of the year
B. the end of the year
C. Christmas celebration
D. at the weekend as usual
5. Which of the following is not true according to the text?
A. the writer was waiting to celebrate the New Year.
B. the writer brought a watch.
C. the writer was very happy.
D. The writer celebrated the New Year with his family.
6. What probably happened when someone shouted that the clock stopped?
A. Everybody directly celebrated the New Year
B. everybody sings and laugh.
C. everybody looked for a watch.
D. everybody shouted too.
7. What does the first sentence tell you?
A. The problem that the writer met
b. The funny thing in the story
C. The opening of the story
d. The past event
8. “It would strike twelve in twenty minutes’ time.” The underlined word refers to …
A. the clock
B. author’s watch
C. the town
D. the place
9. It was the last day of the year and a large crowd of people had gathered under the Town Hall clock. What is the closest meaning of the underlined word?
D. lots of
10. “The big clock refused to welcome the New Year” What is the synonym of the word ….