A long hair look has always been a controversial trend for men: for some people, it may seem super masculine, individualistic, and adorable, while others keep criticizing men who are growing hair out.
But here is something we can say for sure: long hairstyles for men never go unnoticed, so if you choose to start growing your hair, pick the most appropriate “transition period hairstyle” for your hair type and face shape.
Also, remember that growing out your hair takes a lot of patience and requires a complex approach: using a specific shampoo, leave in conditioner, different vitamins and supplements, and other strategic steps for growing your hair as fast as possible.
So, if you’re determined to make your own growing hair trend, experiment with a longer hairstyle, and create your signature long hair look (like Jason Momoa, for instance) check out these tips on how to grow long hair for men. Also, you’ll find diverse up-to-date inspirational ideas on how to wear awkward stage hair with grace:
How To Grow Out Hair For Men
So what does “a complex approach” to getting longer hair for guys mean? It involves choosing the right hair products, styling, diet, and supplements.
According to The American Academy of Dermatology, normal hair growth speed is about half an inch per month. How fast your hair grows depends on your age, hair type, and overall health. So, the task is to control all these factors every day.
Here are 7 detailed tips for growing out hair men:
Check Your Hair Type First
Definitely, this one is the first step to take before growing out your hair. It’s a very good idea to check all the peculiarities of your hair type with your hair stylist so that the hair care, styling products, hair shampoos suit your hair type.
Growing out thick hair is different from when you want to grow thin hair that tends to frizz. Also, it absolutely depends on your hair type if your goal hairstyle is achievable or not. Indeed, it’s gonna be much of a disappointment if you manage to grow long hair and find out that your dream hairdo is impossible or looks super weird on your hair type.
Speed Up Hair Growth with Supplements
When googling “how to make hair grow faster men” you’ll find a lot of information about extra dietary supplements that can help. Indeed, they can improve hair health, reduce hair loss, and speed up growth. But remember that they can’t replace the basic building material for the new body cells.
Here are top supplements for the best hair:
- Vitamin-enriched serum (for scalp massage)
- Herbal supplements (to reduce stress level, to swart hair-thinning hormones and toxins from the environment)
Vitamin A, B-Vitamins, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin D (it’s essential to check the deficiencies and consult your practitioner before)
Besides taking supplements, you could switch to a protein diet, and include foods rich in essential vitamins and stuff like vegetables (spinach, cabbage, carrots, tomatoes, and green peppers), fruit (apricots, strawberries, kiwis, cantaloupe, peaches, and pineapples), and proteins (eggs, fish, chicken, nuts, raisins, lentils, and dairy) – this is the healthiest, best way to grow out hair.
Shampooing and Conditioning Hair
Remember the basic rules:
- Washing your hair every other day is not necessary (otherwise, hair gets dehydrated and brittle as you remove all the natural oils)
- It’s enough to shampoo and conditioner long hair 2-3 times a week.
- If your hair type requires washing it every day, use a very mild or organic shampoo.
- Choose the right shampoo for your scalp skin type, and the conditioner – for your hair type.
- Avoid washing your hair with hot water (warm is fine, cold will make your hair strands shine)
- Use a good conditioner to help your hair grow without tangles, moisturized, and healthy. Avoid conditioners containing waxes as they weigh hair down.
- Use a leave-in conditioner once a week.
- Don’t rub wet hair with a towel, just gently soak the excess water out of it. If you are going to blow-dry your hair, use the lowest heat settings and a heat protection spray.
Get Strategic Haircuts as It Grows
Be ready: awkward phases will happen. Especially, if you’ve decided to grow out your hair from a buzz cut. Some men growing hair out stages will suck, the hair will stick out straight and not cooperate.
A trim, a styling trick from your barber, or a new styling product can make a change.
If you grow your hair from a scratch, start by keeping the sides and back short as the hair grows longer on top. So, first, grow the hair on top to 4 inches at least, afterward, stop the sides trims. During this phase choose medium length hairstyles that suit your face shape.
Switch Up Your Products
Men’s long hair care involves more thorough care and treatment. When you grow your hair, you should stop using pomades, waxes, and pastes meant for short hair as they have a very strong hold and need to be washed out daily (remember, with longer locks, you can’t wash your hair every day as you’ll remove all the necessary natural oils.)
To style long hair and look good, opt for lighter products that hold the shape and volume without weighing the hair length down (grooming creams, serums, leave-in conditioners.)
Cut or Trim Your Hair
It may seem paradoxical, but regular trims are essential. You have to cut off the damaged ends split ends every 8-12 weeks to avoid breakage and help your hair grow faster and longer naturally.
Also, shave or trim your sideburns to keep the whole look neat and clean.
Maintain Your Long Hair Once It’s Grown
After you find out how long does it take to grow long hair male from your own experience, you’ll definitely wonder how to maintain long hair. Here are some extra rules to follow:
- Cut down on using hair straighteners and curling irons.
- Try to avoid coloring, bleaching, and tight ponytails.
- Protect your hair from chlorine, UV rays, and heat.
- Use home hair masks and salon treatment for men.
- Half an hour of aerobic exercise 3 times a week will increase blood flow and stimulate faster hair growth.
- Sleep 7-8 hours a night to let your body produce more growth hormones that boost cell reproduction.
- Reduce stress, eat healthy food, drink more water.
Hairstyles for Growing Out Hair
Is long hair in fashion for men?
The answer is today’s style icons: Brad Pitt, Jason Momoa, Chris Hemsworth, Jared Leto, Kit Harington, Bradley Cooper… so many hot men of Hollywood prefer a longer hair style.
If you grow your hair, you get a chance to change the looks of your hair every day, adjust them for any occasion.
As for the initial phase haircut for growing out hair, the best option is to keep the hair growth on the crown and give regular trims to the sides and back so that your in-between lengths style looks neat.
Below, you’ll find a bunch of growing out hair hairstyles for inspiration:
Long and Tousled
The easiest, messiest, and the most predictable style for long hair – but still, so powerful, soaked with men energy all the way from hair follicles to slightly split ends.
We’ve already mentioned that the hairstyles while growing out hair male should be neat and clean on the sides, while the top length grows. A comb-over is probably the favorite style for guys with growing out haircuts.
This best hair guide on hair growth for men can’t do without a man bun. This style is great for growing hair at all phases (as it can be a top knot, a low bun, a half-bun, a combover bun,) it’s super comfy to wear, and they say it can tell about a guy wit.
Here, you can see how hair growth can change someone. Would you opt for the left or right hairstyle by Travis Fimmel?
Slicked back hair wraps the scalp, opening and highlighting the face: eyes, a distinguishing jawline, cheekbones. For shoulder-length, try such a low knot, for longer hair experiment with a ponytail or a man bun, for a swept-back shorter length, create a slick back just with a comb and some hair pomade.
Pompadour for Long Hair
Pompadour with volume and a tapered fade is a variant for guys who like to turn the heads. If you combine this style with facial hair and a pair of sunglasses, you’ll get a trendy hipster look. Just don’t forget about a beard oil to keep it on point.
Swept Back Hairstyle
Here, you can see different variants of a swept-back hairstyle for the “transition period”. A top knot undercut and a comb over haircuts look good with a low temple fade and let you grow the hair length gracefully.
Super simple, careless, rebellious, and masculine. Perfect for the days when you don’t have enough time to wash your hair.
Long and Curly
Curly hair texture is absolutely authentic. You can experiment a lot, and the best part is you don’t need any products for volume or texture. Various headbands and headwraps for men are great for curly length.
Long Hair and Beard
This is another photo proof that long hair on the scalp and the chin work perfectly together. Just try it!
How to Style Men’s Long Hair?
So, you are a lucky one who has hundreds of styling options for your long hair.
But how to tame long hair? Here is a simplified styling tutorial:
- Shampoo and condition your hair.
- Towel-dry and leave it a bit damp.
- If you want some texture, apply a few spritzes of salt spray throughout the length with your hands.
- Massage a little bit of lightweight hair cream through the hair with your palms or just comb it through to distribute the product.
- Blow-dry your hair in the direction and style you want (loosen the strands for a textured finish or slick it with a brush for a polished outcome)
- Add some shine and prevent frizzing by spreading a couple of drops of hair oil with palms.
- Use some hairspray if necessary.
How to choose the right style for your hair type?
Choose messy and textured styles, volume, layers, and movement for fine hair. For thick long hair, try layer cuts and a slicing technique to lessen the thickness and make the hair easier to tame.
Remember that having long hair is a great benefit for men as you can create your unique style every day.